- 4 large artichokes
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1/2 cup Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds assorted fresh tender greens, such as dandelions, sorrel, spinach, stems removed, and well rinsed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a medium bowl with water and squeeze 1 lemon into it.
- Working 1 at a time, trim the artichoke stems to 1-inch in length. With a paring knife, trim away the tough stem exterior. (As you work, rub the cut artichoke surfaces with a lemon quarter to prevent discoloration.) Break off the leaves near the base and with the artichoke held at an angle on the cutting board, cut away the leaves to leave a cone shape. Cut the leaves to within 1-inch of the heart, and with a spoon, scrape out the tough hairy choke, leaving the tender heart and stem. Cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Place in the lemon water to prevent discoloration while preparing the remaining artichokes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and brown on both sides. Add the greens, water, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring, occasionally, until the artichokes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Place in a serving dish and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Serve.
Warm Artichokes And Bacon Over Dandelion Greens
Grilled Red Mullets With Garlic Walnut Sauce
Jerusalem Artichokes With Mushrooms And Truffle Oil
Greek Style Artichokes With Avgolemono Sauce
Smothered Greens With Ham Hock Gravy
Spicy Green Beans With Garlic
Roasted Garlic Custards With Seared Shrimp And Green Onion Coulis
Old Fashioned Sweet Green Tomato Pie With Sweet Pie Crust
Pork And Green Chile Stew
Cheese And Yogurt Pie