- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole (8-ounce) trout or other small freshwater fish, cleaned
- 16 slices presunto* or prosciutto (about 1 pound)
- Olive oil, for pan frying
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (recommended: Portuguese Vinho Verde)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) butter, cut into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- * Presunto is a cured Portuguese ham similar to prosciutto. It is available in specialty Portuguese shops. Substitute with prosciutto.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, Essence and salt. Lightly dust both sides of the fish with the flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess. Wrap each fish on the bias with the presunto, overlapping the slices slightly to completely enclose the fish.
- In a large skillet, heat enough oil to come 1/2-inch up the sides over medium-high heat. Add 2 fish at a time and pan-fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add more olive oil to the skillet as needed and cook the remaining fish.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine the garlic with the white wine and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add the water, stir to combine, and heat for 15 seconds. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter, 1 piece at a time, adding each piece before the previous one has been completely incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, removing the pan from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from getting too hot and breaking. Remove from the heat and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the fish on 4 dinner plates and drizzle with the sauce. Garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut With A Caper And Tomato Butter Sauce
Prosciutto Wrapped Grilled Scallops
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus With Sauteed Morels
Bacon Wrapped Trout With Tomato Thyme Butter Sauce
Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops With A Dry Jack Pesto Over Linguine
Pan Seared Trout With Anchovy Sauce
Whole Trout Stuffed With A Bacon And Eggplant Dressing
Baked Sea Trout With Green Market Potatoes And Vegetables With Green Garlic Lovage Sauce
Parsnip Cakes With Smoked Trout, Apple, And Horseradish Cream