- 1 (4-pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 40 garlic cloves, unpeeled (from 3 to 4 heads of garlic)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- French bread, optional accompaniment
- GRILLED RADICCIO:
- 2 heads radicchio, quartered
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Place the parsley, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and fold the wings under bird.
- In a large Dutch oven or small heavy roasting pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin, until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the chicken to a large plate. Add the garlic cloves and celery to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, breast side up, and pour the white wine over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and then top with a lid to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 1/2 hours without removing the cover.
- For the radicchio: Preheat a grill or grill pan. Toss the radicchio wedges with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Arrange in a single layer on the grill and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Spoon the pan juices and whole garlic cloves over each portion of chicken, and pass the remaining juices and garlic tableside with French bread for dipping.
- Remove the radicchio from the grill and serve hot or at room temperature.
Chicken with Champagne and 40 Cloves of Garlic
Poached Oranges And Satsumas In Rosemary Clove Syrup
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic for the Slow Cooker
Pepper Seared Fillet Of Beef With Grilled Radicchio And Meat Jus
Herb Cheese Stuffed And Fried Eggplant Steaks With Braised Radicchio, Fennel, And Escarole
Emeril's Grilled Cowboy Steak With Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Oysters And A Drizzle Of Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Vermicelli With Citrus Cream Sauce And Radicchio
Braised Chicken With Garlic And Cerignola Olives
Grilled Red Mullets With Garlic Walnut Sauce
Grilled Pork Chops With Garlic Jam