- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound pork fat, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Essence
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon file powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine the pork, pork fat, Essence, paprika, garlic, black pepper, salt, file, chili powder, red pepper, and cumin in a large bowl and mix well. Pass through a food grinder fitted with a coarse die. (Alternately, transfer in 2 batches to a food processor and process until finely ground.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To test the seasoning, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Using the sausage attachment on a mixer, stuff the meat into the casings, if being used. Twist and tie off to make 4-inch sausages. Alternately, shape into patties.
- Preheat a home smoker to 250 degrees F. Smoke the sausage for 11/2 hours. Remove from the smoker and use as desired.
Homemade Andouille Sausage
Homemade Andouille Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Double Cut Pork Chops With Awesome Ham Hock Gravy
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
Cheese Stuffed Homemade Sausages With Poached Eggs And Tasso Cream Sauce
Grilled Quail And Andouille Sausage Ragu
Smothered Andouille Sausage And Shrimp Over Creamy Stone Ground Grits
Homemade Spicy Turkey Sausage
Homemade Linguica Sausage
Homemade Spicy Chicken Sausage