- 2 (2 1/2-pound) flank steaks, butterflied and pounded thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 4 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 slices raw bacon or pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup Argentine red wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, garnish
- Grilled Eggplant
- Salsa Criolla, accompaniment
- Generously season both sides of the meat with the Essence, salt, and pepper. Lay steaks out on a clean surface with the grain running horizontally toward you in order to slice the cooked Matambre across the grain for more tender meat. Scatter 1 tablespoon of the garlic over both steaks and cover with spinach leaves, leaving a 1/2-inch margin. Top each steak with the carrots and eggs, and sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Carefully roll the meat over the filling in a tight, jelly-roll style and secure closed with kitchen string.
- In a heavy Dutch oven or casserole, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and brown, about 4 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the rolled steaks to the hot bacon fat and cook until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove the steaks and set aside.
- Add the onions to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of garlic, the bay leaves and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen the browned particles. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the steaks to the pan and reduce to a simmer. Cover and slowly simmer until the meat is fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours, turning meat once halfway through. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before removing the kitchen strings and carving.
- Return the baking dish to the heat and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the reduced sauce from the heat, add the reserved bacon, and adjust the seasonings, to taste.
- To serve, arrange the carved meat on 4 or 6 large plates. Spoon a little of the thickened sauce over the meat and top with the onions. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with the Salsa Criolla and Grilled Eggplant on the side.
Grilled Flank Steak Taquitos With Black Bean Puree, Roasted Pepper Salsa And Cilantro-tequila Cream
Marinated Flank Steak With Summer Salsa
Marinated Flank Steak With Stewed Florida Swamp Cabbage
Port Marinated Grilled Flank Steak With Parsley Dipping Sauce
Grilled Flank Steak with Cebollitas (grilled green onions)
Fried Wontons With Oriental Noodle Salad And Grilled Flank Steak
Marinating Flank Steak
Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich
Flank Steak Pinwheels
Grilled Marinated Flank Steaks