- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups seeded, chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons drained small capers
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 2 pairs shad roe (4 lobes), with unbroken membranes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Baby arugula
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the sauce, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until starting to color, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the anchovies, lower the heat, and stir, crushing them into a paste against the sides of the pan. Add the tomatoes, capers, red pepper flakes, and white wine and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Add the parsley, butter, and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasonings to taste. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Combine the flour and Essence in a shallow dish. Dredge the roe in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the roe and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. (The roe still will be slightly pink inside.) Remove and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the roe among 4 plates and serve with the tomato-anchovy sauce on the side.
Pan Seared Shad Roe With A Brown Butter Sauce
Pan Seared Trout With Anchovy Sauce
Pacific Coast Salmon And Wild Ramps, With A Morel, Crawfish, And Fiddlehead Fern Ragout
Lobster With A Champagne Butter Sauce, Spinach Parpadelle Noodles And Salmon Roe Caviar
Sweet Water Prawns Over Spinach Pappardelle With A Champagne And Salmon Roe Butter Sauce
Grilled Butterflied Rainbow Trout
Smoked Eel, Smoked Sturgeon, And Choupique Caviar Salad With Dilled Buttermilk Dressing
Cold Pasta Salad With Smoked Salmon, Cucumbers And Salmon Roe
Wok Fried Tempura Ahi With Shoyu Mustard Butter Sauce And Tomato Ginger Relish
Stuffed Roasted Veal Roast With A Spicy Tomato Sauce And Creamy Pasta