- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted twice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Melted bittersweet chocolate, garnish
- Mango Salsa
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, butter, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add the milk and stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to make a dough, adding more milk 1/4 teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into 20 equal balls. Cover with a kitchen cloth and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the cinnamon to make the cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 to 2 inches of oil to 360 degrees F.
- Roll each ball out on a lightly-floured board into very thin circles, about 6-inches in diameter. Fry the dough until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
- To serve, drizzle with the chocolate and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Serve hot.