- 6 cups cooking oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch or potato flour
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- TEMPURA DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons mirin (sweet cooking wine)
- 1/2 cup dashi
- 5 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine all ingredients for tempura sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Heat oil in a fryer to 340 degrees F. In a large bowl beat egg yolk with water until thoroughly combined. Quickly stir in flour and cornstarch or potato flour, using as few strokes as possible to combine. It's o.k. if there are still a few lumps in the batter. Refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
- *Nobu's tip: all tempura batter ingredients should be at room temperature when mixed. After the batter is mixed it should be refrigerated for 30 minutes before using.
- Working in batches, quickly dip the green beans in the batter and, using tongs, transfer to the hot cooking oil. Cook until crisp and light golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer to a draining rack or plates covered with paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
White Rice, Japanese Style
Tempura Hearts Of Palm On A Bed Of Warm Greens
Emeril's Favorite Miso Soup
Rolled Beef With Vegetables: Gyuniku No Yasaimaki
Green Tea Ice Cream
Wok Fried Tempura Ahi With Shoyu Mustard Butter Sauce And Tomato Ginger Relish
Coconut Tempura Shrimp
Tempura Stone Crabs With Lemon, Black Pepper Tartar Sauce
Emeril's Tempura Fried Oysters
Tempura Pumpkin With A Drizzle Of Caramel Sauce And Cinnamon Ice Cream