- 1 (7 pound) leg of lamb, fat trimmed to 1/4-inch
- 12 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup duck fat
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large turnip, trimmed and quartered
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup rich chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a small, sharp knife, make 12 (1 1/2-inch deep) slits about every 2 inches of the lamb. Wrap the anchovies around the garlic cloves and stuff into the slits.
- In a large roasting pan set over 2 burners, heat the duck fat over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and sear, turning, on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and, in a small bowl, combine the rosemary, Essence, salt, and pepper, and rub evenly over the meat. Add the vegetables, and stir to coat with the fat. Roast until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the leg reads 130 degrees F for medium-rare, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring the vegetables every 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a large platter, and cover loosely to rest for 15 minutes. Place the pan over 2 burners over medium-high heat. Add the wine and cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan and reduce by half. Add the stock and stirring, reduce again by half. Strain into a small saucepan through a fine mesh strainer, pushing down on the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Return to medium heat, and stirring constantly, add the butter a piece at a time. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Carve the lamb, and if desired, serve with the roasted vegetables on the side. Serve with the gravy.
Crawfish And Goat's Cheese Stuffed Leg Of Lamb With Rosemary Jus
Herb Encrusted Roast Leg Of Lamb With Garlic Roasted Baby Potatoes
Greek Grilled Leg Of Lamb: Gyros
Roasted Leg Of Lamb With Goat Cheese Potatoes And Sauce Perigueux
Pistachio Crusted Rack Of Lamb With Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes And Peasant Style Sauce
Leg Of Lamb Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts, Apples And Mint
Chili Rub Leg Of Lamb Roast
Yogurt Marinated Grilled Leg Of Lamb
Chili Rubbed Pesto Stuffed Leg Of Lamb
Stuffed Leg Of Lamb With Stewed Lentils