- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- 6 (6-ounce) cod or haddock fillets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons shredded orange peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 oranges, sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the flour with the Essence and lightly dredge the fish in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until just done, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a glass or ceramic baking dish large enough to fit the fish in one layer.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the fish, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 and up to 24 hours, turning the fish and basting occasionally.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Transfer the fish to a platter, garnish with the orange slices and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve.
Braised Lamb Shanks With Garlic
Chicken Paprikas With Herbed Spaetzle
Fritto Misto With Lemon Garlic Dipping Sauce
Portuguese Boiled Dinner
Portuguese Feijoada, With Accompaniments (vinaigrette, Rice, Collard Greens)
Pickled Herring Casserole
Too Hot Tamales Pickled Shrimps
Nashville Fried Catfish with Fried Pickles