- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 ounces andouille, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small (5 to 6 ounce) smoked ham hock
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons Sherry
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain white rice, warm
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the bacon and saute for 2 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, bay leaves, andouille, and ham hock and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Essence and stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and parsley, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Discard the ham hock and bay leaves. Remove 1 cup of beans from the pot and reserve.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the red beans. Add the Sherry and reserved beans, and stir well.
- To serve, ladle a generous cup of the soup into each of 6 bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup of the rice and 1 tablespoon of green onions.
Tuesday's Red Bean Soup
Clean Out The Ice Box And Freezer Jambalaya
Mediterranean Chicken Packets
Pound Cake With Ice Cream And Sauteed Bananas And Ginger Syrup
Sauteed Bananas And Ginger Syrup
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
Spicy Red Bean Sauce
Charred Red Onion And Balsamic Vinegar White Beans
Red Beans And Rice