- CANOLA OIL PIE CRUST:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- About 2 tablespoons ice water
- BERRY FILLING:
- 2 cups mixed berries (Saskatoon berries, huckleberries, blueberries, blackberries, and currants)
- 3 nectarines, pitted and sliced (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup, plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- Into a medium bowl sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the oil and mix with a fork or pastry blender until the size of peas. Stir in the milk and mix until begins to form a dough. Stir in enough water to form a smooth ball. Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Allow to rest refrigerated for 20 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the berries and nectarines with 1/4 cup of the sugar and the lemon zest. Let sit 3 minutes, then taste to determine if more sugar is needed, adding more as needed. Add the cornstarch and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a large circle, about 10-inches across. Transfer to a baking sheet. Spread the fruit filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edge. Fold the edges over the filling, overlapping the dough into folds. With a pastry brush, brush the cream onto the dough border andsprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar on top.
- Bake until the dough is golden brown and the fruit is bubby, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with: Inniskillin Niagara Vidal Icewine 1998
Mixed Berry & Nectarine Crostade With Canola Oil Pie Crust
Jerusalem Artichokes With Mushrooms And Truffle Oil
Ontario Lamb Loin With Saskatoon Berry Chutney
Watercress And Shoots Salad With Toasted Flax Seeds, Fresh Berries, Oka Cheese Croutons And Flax Seed Oil Vinaigrette
Fresh Peach Fried Pies With A Cinnamon Crust And Roasted Peach And Raspberry Ice Cream
Ricotta And Fig Pie With Brioche Crust
Oat Cake With Warm Mixed Berry Compote And Clotted Cream
Berry Ice Cream Pie With Coconut Whipped Cream
Nectarine And Mascarpone Tart In A Sugar Cookie Crust
Mille Feuille Of Benne Wafers And Pineapple Pastry Cream With Macerated Berries