- 1 chicken breast half, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced Serrano chiles
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into thin slices, for decoration
- 1 avocado, seeded and diced, for topping
- Season the chicken with the cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 1/2 cup of the oil over high heat. Fry the tortilla strips in batches until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan. Add the onion, Essence and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken, garlic, tomatoes and chiles and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the stock and lime juice and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Place 1 lime slice in each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Top each serving with diced avocado and serve the fried tortilla strips on the side.