- 6 large firm, ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Emerilís Essence
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated dry jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the upper half from each tomato and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Sprinkle insides of the tomatoes lightly with salt, and invert on paper towels to drain for 20 minutes.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Whisk in the cream, and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks, salt, Essence and cheddar.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the cheese-egg yolk mixture. Gently incorporate the remaining egg whites. Spoon the batter into the tomato shells, filling them 3/4 full. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish, and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of dry jack cheese over each. Place the tomatoes in the oven and immediately lower the heat to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until the soufflés have risen and are golden brown on top, about 20 to 25 minutes (but do not open the door during the baking time).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Mini Goat Cheese Souffles In Tomato Shells
Cheese Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With Grilled Tomato Basil Coulis, And Grilled Green Onions
Goat Cheese Ravioli With Creamy Walnut Sauce
Roasted Beet, Fennel, Mache and Gorgonzola Salad
Baby Ramp And New Potato Soup With Mini Truffled Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Kicked Up Mini Pimento Cheese Po Boys
Savory Mini Blue Cheese Cakes With Port Reduction
Fallen Goat Cheese Souffles On Wilted Spinach
Cheddar Cheese Hush Puppies