- 6 medium red onions (each about 1/2-pound)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Peel the onions. Trim the stem ends so they will stand upright, and remove 1/2-inch off the top. Rub 1/4 teaspoon of the oil on each onion and season with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and a pinch of the pepper. Place on the baking sheet and roast until tender and caramelized around the edges, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- When cool enough to handle, push out the centers, leaving a shell. Cut pieces of the removed onions to fit inside each shell to prevent the stuffing from oozing out. Reserve the remaining inner pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the mascarpone, thyme, garlic, shallots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and mix until blended. Stuff each onion with the cheese mixture and return to the baking sheet. Bake until warmed through and the cheese melts completely, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to serving plates. Place 1 thyme sprig in the center of each onion, and serve immediately with a spoonful of the reserved onion pieces.
Roasted Garlic Custards With Seared Shrimp And Green Onion Coulis
The Perfect Bird (aka Pepper-Stuffed Turkey)
Brussels Sprouts With Garlic, Nuts And Brown Butter
Emeril's Fried Turkey
Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
Potato, Onion, And Roquefort Soup
Sweet Peas Au Gratin
Brandy And Orange Mashed Sweet Potatoes In Orange Cups
Walnut Tart With Chocolate Drizzles