- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can chick peas, liquid reserved
- One-half cup virgin olive oil
- 1 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Pinch of sumac (a Jordanian spice, found at Middle Eastern food stores)
- One-half teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle of red pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- With the food processor running, drop in the garlic and pulse one or twice until minced. Add the chickpeas with one-half of the reserved liquid, the tahini, sumac, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Process until smooth. With the processor running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream. Hummus should be about the consistency of yogurt. If too thick add some of the remaining chickpea liquid, adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve on a shallow dish or plate, garnished with small Greek olives.