- 2 baked sweet potatoes (mashed the day before)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 pound medium gulf shrimp, peeled (except tails) and deveined
- 1/4 cup plus 3 teaspoons Essence (Creole seasoning)
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound bulk andouille sausage or other spicy loose sausage
- Spicy Boiled Mirlitons
- 1/2 cup Creole Tomato Glaze
- 1/2 cup Creole Meuniere
- One day in advance – preheat oven to 400°F and bake sweet potatoes until soft, about 2 hours. Allow to cool, peel and mash until relatively smooth. Season with brown sugar, butter, salt, white pepper, cinnamon and allspice. Refrigerate overnight.
- Season shrimp with 2 teaspoons of Essence, refrigerate and reserve.
- Season flour with 1 tablespoon of Essence. Combine egg, milk and season with 1 teaspoon of Essence. Combine pecans and bread crumbs and remaining 3 tablespoons of Essence. Shape sweet potatoes into small cakes, forming 4 cakes that are about 2 inches in diameter. Bread three ways: first coat with flour, second coat with egg wash, third coat with crushed pecans and bread crumb mixture. Refrigerate for at least an hour before use. Fill large pot or electric fryer halfway with vegetable oil. Heat oil until smoking hot, 360°F and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- In a small sauté pan cook andouille until it browns and releases some fat, about 3 minutes. Add mirlitons and shrimp and cook until shrimp are barely pink, about 1 minute. Next, add 2 tablespoons Creole tomato glaze and sauté for 1 more minute.
- To serve, place 3 tablespoons Creole Meuniere Sauce on base of plate and set 2 sweet potato fritters in center. Divide shrimp and andouille mixture on top of fritters and garnish with a drizzle of Creole Tomato Glaze.
Grilled Shrimp With Sweet Potato Fritters
Grilled Gulf Pompano With Shrimp Lemon Butter Sauce And Lemon Braised Leeks
Gulf Shrimp And Fresh Fettuccini With Tomato, Mushrooms, And Truffle Oil
Potato Crusted Gulf Fish With A Grilled Mushroom Relish
Smoked Turkey And Sweet Potato Hash With Dried Cranberries, Maltese Sauce, And A Poached Egg
Pan Roasted Squab With Cherry Balsamic Sauce, Fried Sweet Potato And Beet Nests, And Haricot Verts
Gulf Fish Beignets With Grilled Corn And Tomato Tartar Sauce
Crispy Sea Bass With Confit Of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Pancetta And Fresh Sweet Peas
Cinnamon Smoked Venison Medallions With Bourbon Mash Sweet Potatoes And A Caramelized Onion Gravy
Braised Oxtails With Sweet Potato Pudding And Fried Okra