- 2 large eggplants cut into one-fourth-inch round slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- One and one-half pounds chicken breast meat, ground
- One 27-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- One-half cup chopped fresh parsley
- One-fourth teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One-half teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or one-half teaspoon dry oregano)
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Greek White Sauce
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- One-half teaspoon ground white pepper
- Three-fourths cup cream of rice cereal
- One-four cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay the eggplant slices on paper towels for 45 minutes, turning once. Place the eggplant slices on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft. Transfer the onions to a platter and set aside.
- Cook chicken in the same skillet until almost cooked through. Add the onions, tomatoes with their juice, parsley, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oregano. Stir and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir in the yogurt.
- Spray a baking pan with a nonstick spray. Arrange the eggplant in a layer in the pan. Top with the chicken mixture.
- Combine the milk, butter, and white pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Slowly add the cream of rice, stirring constantly. Add the Parmesan cheese. When sauce has thickened, pour over the eggplant and chicken in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.