- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 pound onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, rinsed in cool water and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, heat the butter in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, leek, potatoes, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and deglaze glaze with white wine, loosening any browned bits in the pot. Add the mixture to the potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are just tender. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Transfer the potato mixture to a food processor and pulse several times to puree. Transfer the mixture to a large pot. Add the reserved potato broth to the puree and simmer over medium-low heat. The consistency should be soupy. Season with salt and white pepper. Add the cream and stir to blend. Cook for several minutes to heat through. Garnish with the parsley and chives.