- 4 quail, about 1/2-pound each
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup dark chicken stock, or duck stock
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons DRIED CRANBERRY VINEGAR:
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season both sides of the quail with the Essence, salt and black pepper. In a large heavy skillet, or in 2 smaller skillets, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the quail and cook until well browned on both sides, 5 minutes per side.
- Place the quail on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan. Place in the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes. While the quail is in the oven, make your sauce.
- To the fat remaining in the skillet, add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, and reduce by 50% in volume. Add the vinegar and sugar, and reduce by 50% in volume. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, season with the salt and pepper, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the butter, swirling to incorporate.
- Remove the quail from the oven and divide among 4 serving plates. Drizzle each quail with sauce and serve immediately.
- DRIED CRANBERRY VINEGAR: In a saucepan combine the cranberries, sugar, water, vinegar and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. In a blender puree on high speed. Pour into an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Dried Cranberry Vinegar
Seared Duck Breast With Pear And Dried Cherry Compote With Shallot Reduction
Roasted Quail Stuffed With Veal Over Creamy Goat's Cheese Grits With A Maderia Reduction
Seared Salmon With A Wild Mushroom And White Bean Ragout And A Merlot Reduction Sauce
Seared Venison Chops With Elderberry Reduction, Garlic Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, And Sauteed Baby Spinach
Seared Magret Duck Breasts With Duck Fat, Pan-roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Haricots Verts And A Balsamic Cherry Reduction
Cranberry Reduction Sauce
Fish With Vinegar Chips And Tartar Sauce
Seared Foie Gras With Pain Perdu And A Fresh Cranberry Compote