- 4 quail, about 1/2-pound each
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup dark chicken stock, or duck stock
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons DRIED CRANBERRY VINEGAR:
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season both sides of the quail with the Essence, salt and black pepper. In a large heavy skillet, or in 2 smaller skillets, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the quail and cook until well browned on both sides, 5 minutes per side.
- Place the quail on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan. Place in the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes. While the quail is in the oven, make your sauce.
- To the fat remaining in the skillet, add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, and reduce by 50% in volume. Add the vinegar and sugar, and reduce by 50% in volume. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, season with the salt and pepper, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the butter, swirling to incorporate.
- Remove the quail from the oven and divide among 4 serving plates. Drizzle each quail with sauce and serve immediately.
- DRIED CRANBERRY VINEGAR: In a saucepan combine the cranberries, sugar, water, vinegar and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. In a blender puree on high speed. Pour into an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Dried Cranberry Vinegar
Seared Duck Breast With Pear And Dried Cherry Compote With Shallot Reduction
Roasted Quail Stuffed With Veal Over Creamy Goat's Cheese Grits With A Maderia Reduction
Seared Magret Duck Breasts With Duck Fat, Pan-roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Haricots Verts And A Balsamic Cherry Reduction
Seared Salmon With A Wild Mushroom And White Bean Ragout And A Merlot Reduction Sauce
Seared Venison Chops With Elderberry Reduction, Garlic Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, And Sauteed Baby Spinach
Cranberry Reduction Sauce
Fish With Vinegar Chips And Tartar Sauce
Seared Foie Gras With Pain Perdu And A Fresh Cranberry Compote