- 1 pound medium beets, stems removed
- 1 fennel bulb, about 3/4 pound, core and stems removed, and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup small diced carrot
- 1/4 cup small diced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock, or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup toasted, crushed pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a bowl, place the beets, fennel, 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to combine. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet and roast until caramelized, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a medium, heavy pot, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots and celery, and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the fennel, beets and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, puree the soup. Refrigerate the puree until cool, at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, apple sauce, mint, and sage and stir to combine.
- Ladle the chilled soup into serving bowls, top with a dollop of Apple-Sage-Mint Crema and some of the crushed pistachios, and serve.
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios
Jamaican Chilled Avocado Soup With Fresh Ginger And Lime Crema
Roasted Beets with Pistachio-Goat Cheese Spread on Sourdough
Pistachio And Pine Nut Crusted Rack Of Venison With Wild Mushroom And Bacon Bread Pudding And A Cherry-sage Reduction Sauce
Roasted Beet, Fennel, Mache and Gorgonzola Salad
Roasted Beet And Smoked Sturgeon Salad With Vodka Vinaigrette
Cantaloupe, Honeydew, And Sweet Onion Gazpacho With Crispy Prosciutto
Leg Of Lamb Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts, Apples And Mint
Split Pea Soup With A Roasted Fennel And Lobster Salad
Mussels And Fennel With Saffron Cream Sauce