- 6 ripe mangos, peeled, cored and medium diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- Pinch black pepper
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FRESH COCONUT ICE CREAM:
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen coconut, thawed
- Pinch salt
- 5 egg yolks
- For the Mango’s: In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and let side while making the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Butter the entire pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- For the Cake: Using an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the 1/3 cup butter, shortening, and sugar together. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Mix well. Add the vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake until the top is golden and the cake springs back, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Place a piece of parchment paper over the rack and carefully invert the cake onto a wire rack. Carefully remove the parchment paper on the bottom of the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely. Slice the cake into 24 equal pieces. Place 2 pieces of the cake in each serving bowl. Spoon some of the mango mixture over the cake. Place a couple of scoops of the ice cream on top of the mango mixture and serve.
- FRESH COCONUT ICE CREAM: In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the half-and-half, sugar, coconut and salt, over medium heat. Bring the cream to the boiling point and scald it. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl. Add the cream mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, to the beaten eggs, whisking in between each addition, until all is used. Pour the mixture into a saucepan, and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Pour the filling into the ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for churning time.
- Yield: about 1/2 gallon
Fresh Mango Ice Cream With A Tropical Fruit Relish
Fresh Coconut Ice Cream With Mexican Chocolate Sauce
Tropical Fruit Beignet With Mango Coulis And Coconut Ice Cream
Emerilís Profiteroles With Fresh Coconut Ice Cream
Fresh Coconut Ice Cream
Chocolate Shortcakes With Fresh Berries And Cream
Fresh Coconut Cake With A Lemon Cream Cheese Filling And Boiled Icing
Berry Ice Cream Pie With Coconut Whipped Cream
Italian Cream Cake With A Coconut And Pineapple Icing
Flambeed Pineapples With Coconut Ice Cream