- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- Salt and pepper
- 3 dozen fresh snails, purged and removed from the shell
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Loaf of crusty French bread
- 1 cup AIOLI:
- 4 cloves garlic
- *2 egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the snails and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cold butter.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Place the snails in the porcelain snail dishes. Spoon the liquid over each snail. Spoon a teaspoon of the aioli over each snail.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley and remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the aioli. Place the dishes on a baking dish and place on the top shelf of the oven. Broil for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool slightly. Serve the snails with French Bread and wine.
- AIOLI: Place the garlic in a large mortar and crush. Add the eggs and incorporate. Season with salt. Slowly stir in the oil, a little at a time, until all of the oil is incorporated and the mixture is like a thick mayonnaise.
- Yield: about 1 cup
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of food poisoning. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell."
Escargots In A Pastry Dome
Gros Escargots De Bourguignon
Classic La Bourride
Fresh Apricot Clafouti
Escargots A La Bourguignonne
Kicked Up Escargot Domes With Duxelles And Foie Gras
Lamb Stew With Herbes De Provence
Herbes De Provence
Stuffed Turbot Provencal
Garlic Escargot With Goat Cheese, Fennel And Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms