- 2 cups assorted tropical fruit, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (such as mango, papaya, pineapple, banana)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- 16 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Powdered sugar (garnish)
- Dried banana chips (garnish)
- Dried pineapple chips (garnish)
- Chopped crystallized ginger (garnish)
- GINGER CR»ME ANGLAISE:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, mix together the tropical fruit with the brown sugar, nuts and ginger. In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- Lay several of the wonton wrappers at a time flat on a work surface. Spoon 2 teaspoons of filling into the center of each wrapper. Paint the edges with the beaten egg and fold the bottom up over the top to enclose the filling and make a triangle. Press down to completely seal the edges. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- In a large wok or pot, heat oil to 360° - 370°F. Add the fruit wontons in batches to the oil and cook until golden brown, about 45 seconds, turning as they cook. Remove and drain on paper towels, and dust with powdered sugar. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
- Spoon Ginger Crème Anglaise on the bottom of dessert plates, and top with 3 to 4 wontons per plate. Garnish the plates with dried banana and pineapple chips, and crystallized ginger, if desired.
- GINGER CRÈME ANGLAISE: In a small, heavy saucepan, combine cream and ginger. Warm to about 110° F over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add 1/2 cup of the hot cream to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk the egg mixture into the cream and cook, stirring, over medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain into a clean bowl. Discard the ginger.
- Serve immediately. (If not serving immediately, press plastic wrap against the surface of the custard so a film will not form.)
- Yield: 2 cups
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches With Macadamia Nut Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Drunken Onaga With Ginger Sake Sauce And Fried Maui Onion Rings
Macadamia Nut Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate Chunk Cookie
Fresh Mango Ice Cream With A Tropical Fruit Relish
Tropical Fruit Beignet With Mango Coulis And Coconut Ice Cream
Mango Sherbert With Tropical Fruit Macedoine
Chocolate Coeur A La Cr»me
Chicory Coffee Cr»me Brulee
Crispy Fried Oysters With Caviar Cr»me Fraiche