- 1 egg,* see note below
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 dozen small smelts (about 6 inches long) heads and viscera removed
- 2 cups Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 cups flour
- Creole seasoning
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a food processor combine the egg, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and green onions. Puree for 15 seconds. With the food processor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. Add the cayenne, mustard and salt and pulse once or twice to blend. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before using. Best if used within 24 hours.
- Season the smelts with salt. Place in a shallow glass bowl and add the hot sauce. Toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the fryer to 375ºF.
- Season the flour with Creole seasoning. Dredge the fish in the flour, coating completely. Fry the smelt until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the smelt and drain on paper towels.
- Season with Creole seasoning and serve with the tartar sauce.
- *RAW EGG WARNING
- The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of food poisoning. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell."
Fried Smelts With Tartar Sauce
Catfish Beignets With Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Pan Fried Pass Manchac Catfish With Spicy Tartar Sauce And Hush Puppies
Tempura Stone Crab Claws With Lemon Black Pepper Tartar Sauce
Spicy Crab Cakes With Fried Quail Eggs
Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce
Fried Pickles With Spicy Dipping Sauce
Grilled Walleye With Fresh Tomato, Vidalia Onions And Fresh Field Pea Vinaigrette
Tuna Tartare With Spicy Mayonnaise, Mizuna And Soy Wasabi Vinaigrette