- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch freshly ground cinnamon
- 8 slices French bread, cut diagonally and 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1 lobe grade-A foie gras, cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- FRESH CRANBERRY COMPOTE:
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a shallow baking pan, beat the eggs with cream and cinnamon. Season with salt. Dip each piece of bread into egg mixture, allowing each piece to sit in the liquid for a couple of minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter. Pan-fry the bread until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. With a warm knife, slice the foie gras, diagonally, into 1-inch pieces. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan, over medium heat. Add the foie gras and sear for 1 minute on the first side and 2 minutes on the second side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the compote to the foie gras fat.
- To assemble, place a piece of the pain perdu in the center of each serving plate. Lay a piece of foie gras over the bread. Spoon some of the Cranberry Compote over the foie gras. Garnish with parsley.
- FRESH CRANBERRY COMPOTE: Put the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Yield: 2 cups
Seared And Carved Magret Duck With Foie Gras And Sweet Corn Custard
Seared Foie Gras With Sauteed Apples
A Fresh Cranberry And Semisweet Chocolate Trifle
Duck And Sweet Corn Pozole With Foie Gras
Kicked Up Escargot Domes With Duxelles And Foie Gras
Wild Boar And Foie Gras Terrine
Foie Gras And Mushroom Stew With Mascarpone Dumplings
Seared Beef Carpaccio With Shaved Fresh Artichokes And A Drizzle Of Truffle Oil
Fresh Cranberry Compote
Seared Fois Gras With Caramelized Apples