- 1 1/2 pounds fresh figs, stemmed and quartered
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- HAZELNUT ICE CREAM:
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the figs with the sugar. In a hot cast iron skillet, melt 1/2 stick of the butter. Sauté the figs for 2 minutes.
- For the batter: In a mixing bowl, cream the remaining stick of butter and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs 1 at a time. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Combine vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture. Mix well. Pour the cake batter evenly over the figs. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and pulls away slightly from the edges of the skillet. Cool for about 30 minutes, then invert over a large platter. Cut into individual servings and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- HAZELNUT ICE CREAM: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the hazelnuts on the baking sheet and roast until golden, about 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the half-and-half and sugar. Bring to a simmer. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan of liquid and whisk until incorporated. Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. This will prevent a skin from forming while cooling. Cool the mixture completely.
- Stir in the nuts. Process the mixture in an ice cream machine.
- Yield: about 1 quart of ice cream
Charlie Trotters Whole Roasted Figs With Goat's Cheese Ice Cream, Spicy Fig Sauce And Oatmeal Tuiles
Fresh Florida Orange Cake With Toasted Almond Ice Cream And Strawberry Compote
Caramelized Peach Up-side Down Cake
Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches with Ginger Molasses Cookies
Fresh Coconut Cake With A Lemon Cream Cheese Filling And Boiled Icing
Chocolate, Buttermilk Cake With Fudge Icing And Coffee Ice Cream
Fresh Mango Ice Cream With A Tropical Fruit Relish
Fresh Peach Fried Pies With A Cinnamon Crust And Roasted Peach And Raspberry Ice Cream
Fresh Lemon And Lavender Ice Cream With Almond Butter Cookies
Fresh Peach Ice Cream With Rainier Cherries