- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsnips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped turnips
- 12 ounces (2 cups) finely chopped smoked duck meat
- 2 tablespoons peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups Duck Stock or Brown Chicken Stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the onions, the celery, carrots, parsnips, and turnips and sautÈ for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the duck meat, the tomatoes, basil, and 1 tablespoon of the garlic. Stir in the stock, water, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 3 turns of the pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 4 1/2 cups.
- While the stew is simmering, combine the egg, beer, the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 turns pepper, 2 tablespoons onions, the 1/2 cup duck meat with the flour and baking powder in a bowl and whisk together.
- Turn the heat up to high under the stew. When itís bubbling, place spoonfuls of dumpling batter on top of the stew, cover, cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat, simmer for 1 minute or until the dumplings are cooked through, and remove from the heat. Makes about 16 dumplings.
- To serve, ladle 1 generous cup of the stew into each of 4 shallow bowls and top with about 4 dumplings.
- Note: Smoked duck meat can be purchased at specialty food stores and some meat counters.
Smoked Duck Hash With Poached Eggs And Woodland Cream
Smoked Duck Mousse Profiteroles With Chile Pepper Glaze
Steamed Ginger Shrimp Dumplings With Stir Fried Sesame Vegetables
Portuguese Chorizo Clam Stew With Garlic Aioli
Portuguese Seafood Stew With Aioli Crostini
Stuffed Leg Of Lamb With Stewed Lentils
Duck Roulades With Avocado, Pistachios, And Pistachio Armagnac Sauce
Smoked Duck Stew With Smoked Duck Dumplings
Duck And Pumpkin Risotto With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds And Duck Cracklings
Rosemary Lamb Stew