- 6 ounces salt cod
- 2 quarts milk
- 2 2/3 cups Creole Sauce
- 32 wonton wrappers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely diced peeled potatoes boiled until tender, and drained
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 2)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 cups salted water
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Two days before serving, place the salt cod in a bowl and cover with 1 quart of the milk to soak. Refrigerate for 24 hours, pour off the milk and discard it, and rinse the cod thoroughly under cold water. Soak the cod in the remaining 1 quarts milk for another 24 hours, refrigerated. Repeat the rinsing process and dry the cod thoroughly. Cut the fish into a fine julienne. Make about 1 cup.
- Prepare the Creole Sauce, and keep warm.
- While the sauce is simmering, set out the wonton wrappers and cover with a clean damp cloth.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, green onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic and sautÈ for 2 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, tomatoes, red pepper, black pepper, and parsley and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the salt cod and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Makes 2 cups filling.
- Separate the wonton wrappers until you have the thinnest possible skin, and brush with beaten egg. Mound 2 tablespoons of the filling on each of 16 wrappers and cover with the other 16. Crimp the edges with a fork.
- Bring the salted water to a boil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ravioli and simmer until the dough is cooked, for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon or spatula.
- To serve, place 4 ravioli on each of 4 dinner plates. Cover with 2/3 cup of the sauce and top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Swordfish With Portuguese Sauce
Shrimp Stuffed Flounder With Sauce Piquante
Portuguese Chorizo Clam Stew With Garlic Aioli
Portuguese Piri Piri Beef On A Stick With Cilantro Potato Salad
Portuguese Seafood Stew With Aioli Crostini
Paneed Chicken with Creamed Garlic Potatoes and Braised Kale
Crawfish Stuffed Filet Mignon With Crawfish Bordelaise Sauce
Curry Crusted Lamb Chops With Garlic Wine Sauce And Potato Shallot Custards
Duck Roulades With Avocado, Pistachios, And Pistachio Armagnac Sauce