- 6 to 8 pounds beef, lamb, or veal bones, including knuckles and leg bones with marrow, sawed into 2- or 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 8 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 whole heads garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 8 quarts water, cold or at room temperature
- 12 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf tarragon
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, stems and leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the bones in a roasting pan, drizzle the oil over the bones, and roast until brown, for about 15 minutes. Turn the bones over, and using a pastry brush, spread the tomato paste over them; roast for an additional 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, and roast until the bones are a deep brown and the vegetables are tender, for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven, lift out the bones and vegetables from the pan with tongs, and place them in a large stockpot. Do not discard the juices in the pan. Add the water to the stockpot, then the bay leaves, basil , thyme, tarragon, oregano, parsley, peppercorns, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting pan on top of the stove over medium heat. Pour the wine into the pan and deglaze it by using a wooden spoon to scrape up the sticky brown bits clinging to the bottom. When the pan is deglazed, add its contents to the pot. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 3 1/2 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer, skim the surface, and allow it to cool thoroughly. Discard the bones and vegetables. Refrigerate over-night. Remove any congealed fat from the surface the next day, and freeze in 2-cup containers or ice cube trays for use in individual dishes. Keeps for 1 month.
Veal, Beef, Quail, Or Duck Glaze
Beggarsí Purses Of Lamb, Goat Cheese, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Rosemary Lentils
Basic Chicken Stock
Brown Chicken Stock
Monster Herbed Veal Chops With Rosemary Potato Crisps And Roasted Shallot Sauce
Veal With Artichokes And Wild Mushrooms