- One 6- to 7-pound cooked, bone-in, butt portion ham
- 1 loosely packed cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup Creole mustard or other spicy, whole-grained mustard
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- FOR THE POTATOES:
- 7 small sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- Rinse the ham under cold running water. Pat dry and place on a work surface. With a sharp knife, score parallel lines, 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep, across the rounded skin side of the ham. Turn the ham 180° and score in a similar fashion to create a grid pattern across the ham. Put the ham in a 2-gallon plastic garbage bag.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, whisking to mix. Pour the mixture into the bag with the ham and seal. Gently squeeze the bag to evenly distribute the marinade around the ham. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the potatoes: Cut the potatoes in quarters lengthwise and put in a large mixing bowl. Toss with the vegetable oil, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and sugar. Arrange the potatoes in a layer on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Remove the ham from the bag and reserve the marinade. Set the ham, scored side up, on top of the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes. Pour the marinade into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until it has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven and evenly baste all sides with the marinade. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the ham from the oven and baste again. Turn the sweet potatoes. Return the ham to the oven and bake, basting every 15 minutes, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the sweet potatoes.
The King's Creole Fried Pork Chops With Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Southern Cooked Greens
Spiced Baked Ham With Sweet Potatoes
Fried Quail With Creamy Ham Gravy
Panfried Catfish With Warm Andouille Potato Salad And Grown Up Tartar Sauce
Sweet Potato And Duck Chowder
Basic Sweet Piecrust
Arugula With Ham And Blue Cheese And Fig Vinaigrette
Ham Hocks With Black Beans
Sweet Molasses Ham With Roasted Molasses Sweet Potatoes
Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears