- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1/4 pound boiled ham, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal or ground pork (or 1/4 pound of each)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 pound white button mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups Chicken Stock or
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 chicken livers, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and ham and cook, stirring often, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the ground meats and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, nutmeg, and cloves, and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the chicken livers, if using, and cook until firm, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and parsley. Heat through and adjust the seasoning to taste. Use hot.
Meat Pies With Spicy Portuguese Sauce
Dad's Meat Loaf
Chairman Of The Board Linguine With Clam Sauce And Viva Las Vegas Tomato Sauce
Asian Dipping Sauce
Barbecue Sauce Base
Blue Cheese Sauce
Celery Root Fries With Creole Remoulade Sauce
Crab Cakes With Poached Eggs And Wild Mushroom Sauce