- 1 (15 ounce) package Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
- 3 medium-size Granny Smith apples, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (4 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury Best All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (15 ounce) can Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Unfold both crusts; cut each crust in half. Place the crust halves on ungreased cook sheet; prick several times with fork. Bake until light golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool while preparing the filling.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter and vanilla; mix well. Cover; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir; microwave an additional 3 to 6 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring once halfway through cooking.
- Place one-half cup of the frosting in a small microwave-safe bowl; set aside. Add the remaining frosting to the apple mixture; stir until the apples are coated.
- Place one crust half in the center of an ungreased cookie sheet. Spread with one-third (about 1 cup) of the apple mixture; sprinkle with one-fourth cup of the pecans. Top with the second crust half; pressing lightly. Repeat the layers ending with the fourth crust half. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove the foil; bake an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until gold brown.
- Microwave the reserved frosting on high for 20 to 30 seconds or until melted. Pour over the top of the torte; spread to edges. Sprinkle with the remaining one-fourth cup pecans. Cook 15 minutes. To serve, cut into wedges. If desired serve with ice cream or whipped topping.
- Created by Christine Latta of Carmel, Indiana