- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Cayenne to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 4 filet mignons (about 6 ounces each), butterflied and pounded to about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- Creamy Polenta
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and garlic and season with salt and cayenne. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until thick and mushy, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves, stir in the parsley, and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large sautÈ pan over medium-high heat.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with salt and cayenne. Season each filet with salt and cayenne. Dredge them in the seasoned flour, tapping off any excess flour, then dip each in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the filets in the flour for a second time, coating each side completely and tapping off any excess.
- Gently lay the filets in the hot oil. Pan-fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels, then season with salt and cayenne.
- To serve, spoon equal portions of the polenta into the center of each plate. Top each serving with a filet and spoon the eggplant mixture over each.
Fried Eggplant With Shrimp Stew Fay
Sixty One Paneed Veal Chops With Fettuccine
Whole Roasted Squabs Stuffed With Eggplant And Bacon Dressing
Paneed Chicken With Creamed Garlic Potatoes And Braised Kale
Portobello Sandwich With Mashed Root Vegetable Mushroom Stew
Pork And Eggplant Cutlets With Olive Tomato Sauce
Roasted Eggplant And Garlic Soup
Herb Cheese Stuffed And Fried Eggplant Steaks With Braised Radicchio, Fennel, And Escarole
Ham Steaks With Red Eye Gravy, Sweet Potato Biscuits And Molasses Pecan Butter
Portuguese Chorizo Clam Stew With Garlic Aioli