- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons Rustic Rub
- 2 catfish fillets (6 to 6 1/2 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- Solid vegetable shortening for deep-frying
- Combine the milk, mustard, Tabasco, salt, cayenne, black pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the rub in a bowl and mix well. Add the catfish and submerge. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, and the remaining 2 teaspoons rub in another bowl. Remove the catfish from the milk mixture and dredge in the flour mixture, coating evenly.
- Heat the shortening to 360?F. Deep-fry the catfish for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. The fish will float to the surface of the hot oil when done.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.