- 4 pounds raw chicken bones, including the carcass and necks, rinsed in cool water
- 8 quarts water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Bouquet Garni
- Put the chicken bones in a large stockpot and cover with the water. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Skim off any cloudy scum that rises to the surface, then after the scum stops rising to the top reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve and let cool. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, then remove any congealed fat from the surface. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days, or can be stored in 2- to 4-cup containers in the freezer for up to 1 month.