- 6 large eggs
- A pinch plus 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds new potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into small dice
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water, add the pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, then cool in a bowl of ice water. Peel and chop.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of the salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork-tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain. Let cool to room temperature.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, red onions, green onions, garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Whisk to blend. Add the eggs, potatoes, and bacon and toss to coat evenly. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.