- FOR THE VEAL STOCK: (makes 2 quarts)
- 7 pounds veal marrow bones, sawed into 2-inch pieces (ask your butcher to do this)
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Bouquet Garni
- 6 quarts water
- FOR THE VEAL REDUCTION: (makes 1 cup)
- 1 quart veal stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the veal stock. Preheat the oven to 450?F. Put the bones in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spread the bones evenly with the tomato paste. Combine the onions, celery, and carrots and scatter over the top of the bones. Return to the oven and roast for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat.
- Place the roasting pan over medium heat on top of the stove and pour the wine over the bones and vegetables. Using a wooden spoon, deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom for browned bits. Put everything into a large stockpot. Add the salt, garlic, bouquet garni, and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any cloudy scum that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer and let cool. Refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight, then remove any congealed fat from the surface.
- The stock will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer, in 1- to 2-cup containers, for up to 1 month.
- To make the veal reduction, bring the stock, seasoned with the salt, to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until reduced by three quarters, about 1 hour. It will keep for 3 days.
Port Wine Reduction
Mr. Johnís Veal Chops With Smoked Gouda Cheese Macaroni
Baked Macaroni With Calamari Tomato Sauce
Oysters On The Half Shell With Mignonette Sauce And Caviar
Poached Trout With Lemon Butter Sauce And Parsley Potatoes
Goat Cheese Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With A Pecan Pesto Butter Sauce
Homemade Pepper Sauce