- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup water
- Solid vegetable shortening, for deep-frying
- 1 cup Steenís 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add just as much water as you need to make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions, about the size of a pecan or walnut. Roll out each portion on a floured surface with a rolling pin into a very thin round.
- Heat the shortening to 360ºF. in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan. Drop each portion one at a time into the hot oil, then give it a quick twist in the center with a long-handled fork, holding the fork in the dough until it sets slightly. Rotate the fork, flattening the tines against the dough to form an “ear.” Remove the fork. Turn the ears around in the oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the syrup and pecans in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until it reaches 234º to 240ºF. on a candy thermometer, or the soft ball stage, that is, when a bit dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the syrup onto each of the ears. Serve immediately.