- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Solid vegetable shortening, for deep-frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until light and frothy. Add the sugar and whisk to dissolve. Add the butter and vanilla and continue to whisk for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture, about 1 cup at a time, blending together until a stiff dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and sprinkle the dough with a little flour. Pat the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut out about 12 diamond-shape pieces. Make a slit lengthwise through the center of each diamond.
- Heat the shortening to 360ºF. in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan. Deep-fry the diamonds, two to three at a time, turning them around with a slotted spoon, until they are golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.