- CAKE BATTER:
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Steenís 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- SUGAR-CINNAMON TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the shortening.
- Cream together the remaining shortening, the sugar, and syrup in a mixing bowl. Add the water and mix well. Add the egg and mix again.
- Mix together the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, flour, nutmeg, and baking soda and beat until smooth.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until the cake sets and slightly shrinks from the side of the pan. Remove and cool slightly.
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- After the cake has cooled slightly, spread the topping evenly over the cake and return the cake to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the topping melts.
- Cut into wedges to serve. It can be served warm or at room temperature. Yield: one 9-inch cake, 6 to 8 servings