- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (Note: very important that these are shelled!)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 5 tomatillos, husked, washed coarsely chopped
- Radish tops
- 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch cinnamon, optional
- In a large skillet over low heat toast pumpkin seeds, cumin seeds and oregano until fragrant and pumpkin seeds begin to pop, 6 to 7 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons toasted seeds, and transfer the remaining seeds to a blender or spice grinder and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine onion, cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, lettuce, tomatillos and radish tops and puree until smooth.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown chicken on all sides in vegetable oil over medium high heat, about 10 minutes, turning the pieces as they cook. Transfer chicken to a platter. Add the pureed vegetables to the hot skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and ground seeds, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add the cinnamon, if desired. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.
- Serve over white rice with sliced radishes and reserved toasted pumpkin seeds.
Pine Nut-crusted Chicken With Green Mole Cream
Seared Chile Marinated Breast Of Chicken With Mole Cream Sauce And Tamarind Glaze
Chicken And Goat Cheese Tamales With Chile Verde
Chicken Mole With Coffee Extract
Emeril's New Style Caldo Verde
Double Cut Pork Chops with Tamarind Glaze, Green Mole Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Potatoes
Savory Pumpkin And Oxtail Cous Cous
Braised Chicken Thighs
Paneed Chicken With Creamed Garlic Potatoes And Braised Kale
Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Light Pan Sauce And Braised Celery