- 3 semi-ripe plantains (yellow with some spots)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound smoked shrimp
- BLACK BEAN SALSA:
- 1 1/2 cups prepared black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place unpeeled plantains on a baking sheet and rub with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast plantains in oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until skin is blackened and flesh is softened somewhat. While plantains are still warm, trim ends and peel fruit (you may need gloves or a dishtowel if plantains are still very hot). Cut plantains into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- In a heavy saucepan sauté onion, carrot and cumin in remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until softened and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add plantains and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Skim surface of soup if necessary, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the plantains are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender purée the mixture in batches until smooth and season with Essence, salt and pepper to taste. Return the soup to the pot keep warm until ready to serve. When serving, top each portion with 2 tablespoons of the Black Bean Salsa and several smoked shrimp.
- BLACK BEAN SALSA: In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients, seasoning to taste with cayenne and salt. Cover and let blend for 1 hour before serving.
- *The jalapeno seeds can be added for a spicier Salsa.
- Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Coconut Shrimp With Star Fruit And Black Bean Salsa And Passion Fruit Cream
Beef Flautas With Black Bean Puree, Roasted Pepper Salsa And Cilantro Cream
Charred Chayote Soup With Spicy Shrimp And Black Bean Relish
Hot Chorizo Tamales With Black Bean And Roasted Pepper Salsa
Grilled Tuna With Tortilla Sauce, Black Bean Chili, And Salsa
Grilled Flank Steak Taquitos With Black Bean Puree, Roasted Pepper Salsa And Cilantro-tequila Cream
Smoked Mushroom And Shrimp Quesadilla With Adobo Chile Salsa
Black Bean Cakes With Sauteed Rock Shrimp And Mole Sauce
Kicked-up Smoked Salmon And Scallop Koulibiaca With Spinach And Black Truffles Wrapped In Phyllo W/truffle Beurre Blanc
Banana Ice Cream With Caramel Sauce And Crispy Plantain Chips