- 2 cups peeled rock shrimp tails, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled, chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup, plus 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cubed Mozzarella cheese pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 1 stick butter, melted
- SMOKEY TOMATO-BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter
- White pepper to taste
- Few drops of balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Hot sauce of your choice, to taste
- Place the shrimp tails in a bowl and season with the Creole seasoning. In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add seasoned shrimp to the skillet and cook until pink, about 4 minutes. Add cream, Worchestershire and Crystal hot sauces to pan and reduce over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup breadcrumbs to the mixture to tighten, stirring to combine well, and cook for 1 minute. Remove mixture from the heat and allow to cool. Gently fold in the cheese and combine thoroughly.
- Divide cooled shrimp mixture into 8 equal portions, then fashion each into individual logs about 1-inch in diameter and 4-inches in length (approximately 3 1/2 ounces each).
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Spread phyllo sheets on a clean work surface with long side closest to you, like a book. With a pastry brush, spread melted butter on right half of top sheet, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs and fold left side over right side as though closing a book. Butter top of folded phyllo sheet. Place one formed shrimp log at bottom of phyllo sheet and carefully fold 1-inch edge of left side over the filling, then 1-inch edge of right side over the filling. Starting at the bottom, fold the phyllo over the shrimp filling and roll up to form a cylinder, like an eggroll, buttering the bottom 1/2-inch of phyllo with butter to seal. Butter the top of the phyllo roll and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and rock shrimp filling. Place phyllo bundles in refrigerator for 10 minutes prior to cooking.
- Bake phyllo strudels in oven until golden brown, about 12 - 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- SMOKEY TOMATO-BUTTER SAUCE: In a mixing bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place tomatoes on a smoker rack and smoke with hickory chips for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter, add chopped onion and celery and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add smoked tomatoes and any accumulated juices, chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, puree until smooth. Strain through a coarse strainer and continue to cook until thickened, about 5 more minutes. Whisk in cold butter, season to taste with salt, white pepper, a few drops of balsamic vinegar and your hot sauce of choice. Serve immediately or keep warm in a bain marie until needed.
Sauteed Rock Shrimp In Creole Cream Sauce In A Puff Pastry Vol- Au-vent
Black Bean Cakes With Sauteed Rock Shrimp And Mole Sauce
Crab Stuffed Shrimp With Tomato Butter And White Bean Relish
Wok Fried Tempura Ahi With Shoyu Mustard Butter Sauce And Tomato Ginger Relish
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut With A Caper And Tomato Butter Sauce
Black Grouper With Sofrito And Rock Shrimp Toast
Grilled Gulf Pompano With Shrimp Lemon Butter Sauce And Lemon Braised Leeks
Island Shrimp And Pineapple Skewers With Rum Butter Sauce
Shrimp And Salmon Mousseline With A Tomato Cream Sauce
Creamy Herbed Rock Shrimp In Roasted Tomatoes