- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, or spinach, rinsed well, picked over, and stemmed
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy pot over medium heat until slightly crisp. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until wilted and golden. Add the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Mix well.
- Begin adding the greens, a third at a time, pressing down on the greens as they wilt. They will wilt considerable as they cook. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring often, for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.