- Soak the casings in warm water until soft and pliable, at least 1 hour. Run lukewarm water through the casings to remove any salt.
- Tie a double knot in one end of the casing, then cut off a length of casing. Gather all but a couple of inches of the casing over the nozzle of the sausage stuffer or funnel.
- Start pressing the sausage mixture through, supporting the casing with your other hand. Pack the sausage as tight as you can, but not to the point of bursting. When you have filled almost all the casing (or used up all the stuffing), slip the casing off the nozzle.
- For a coil, tie the sausage where the stuffing ends. To make links, use one of these methods:
- Using butcher’s twine, tie the rope of sausage at intervals.
- Pinch the rope into links and twist in alternating directions at the indentations.
- Randomly prick the casings with a thin toothpick or the tines of a fork to release any air that’s trapped.
- Cook, refrigerate, or smoke the sausage.