- 1 turkey carcass
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 quarts water, or enough to cover the carcass
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Place the carcass in a large stockpot. Add the celery, onions, water, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours. Remove from the heat. Skim any fat that has risen to the surface.
- Strain through a large fine-mesh sieve. Reserve any meat that has fallen off the bones and pick off any meat that may still remain on the carcass.
- Reserve the onions and celery for gumbo. Use right away or store the broth in quart containers in the freezer.