- 4 trout fillets (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Rustic Rub
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Season the fish with the rub.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and, stirring constantly for 5 to 6 minutes, make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Stir briskly, coating the vegetables with the roux mixture and separating the onions rings. Continue stirring for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the water and stir until the mixture thickens, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lemon juice and lay the trout in the pan and baste with the sauce. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Add the parsley and remove from the heat. Serve right away.