- 1 small rabbit, cut into serving pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds, dressed)
- 1 tablespoon Rustic Rub
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 quarts water
- Season the rabbit with the rub. Heat the oil in a cast-iron pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, brown the rabbit, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour. Stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and bay leaves. Add the rabbit and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, stirring to mix well. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until rabbit is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve in soup bowls.