- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup dried fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly soft. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the shrimp, thyme, oregano, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 1 minute, or until the shrimp turns pink. Add the water and parsley and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat and add the bread crumbs and cheese. Mix well.
- Spoon into a casserole dish and bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve hot.